The understanding of community is extremely important today, not only for our emotional and spiritual well-being, but for the future of our children and, in fact for the survival of humanity.
As you well know, we are faced with a whole series of global environmental problems which are harming the biosphere and human life in alarming ways that may soon become irreversible. The great challenge of our time is to create sustainable communities; that is, social and cultural environments in which we can satisfy our needs without diminishing the chances of future generations.
Idealism notwithstanding, it presents an invitation to collectively explore investing instead in the already discreetly emerging paradigm of cooperation and resource sharing. Assuming that's so and we have the collective will to survive and continue evolving this would seem a worthwhile invitation to accept now.
If so, paradigm shifts take time and passing through the critical transitional phase en route to the party will inevitably be a bumpy ride. But the bumps will be less jarring if we're able to focus and remain focused on an intended outcome of co-manifesting a global society based on love rather than fear.
our good honest(ha!)
Modern western culture uses spirituality
when it suits,
against one another in a dog eat dog,rat race.
on peoples fear and insecurity to great effect.
By William H. Murray (from his book "The Scottish Himalayan Expedition"):
Sylvia Eagle, permaculture pionneer..1983
As his windows look directly onto the damage, I approached my neighbour across the street, for as I said to him his children needed the trees, would he like to be part of a co-operative to tree watch?
He looked at me in total surprise & said …
"NO…I’M NOT INTO TREES
I’M NOT BOTHERED".
Where are you living?
What are you doing?
What are your relationships?
Are you in right relation?
Where is your water?
Know your garden.
It is time to speak your Truth.
Create your community.
Be good to each other.
And do not look outside yourself for the leader.
Then he clasped his hands together, smiled, and said,
This could be a good time.
Community is the universal organ that has suffered the greatest injury. It is a necessary part of the Whole that has been destroyed on a global level.
Everywhere where people were displaced, enslaved or sold through conquering wars and colonization, communities were destroyed and thus the life nerve of whole peoples.
This destruction has been raging for 7000 years, up to the present time where the last indigenous people are being expelled and destroyed in the name of economic interests on all continents.
The disappearance of the human community has caused a severe wound in the human civilisation. With the destruction of community the human being has lost his/her authentic morality and responsibility.
People have been torn from their organic communities. This has also gradually separated them from their own higher self and their higher knowledge and from the higher orders of life.
Community was and is the natural humus for trust and solidarity.
(Quote by Dieter Duhm)
Critical mass of consciousness is dawning
Yet despite the news, there is a subtle but persistent shift in our world-view. I believe that as we cast more light on humanity's difficulties and challenges, we can experience incremental shifts in consciousness. Psychologists compare human consciousness to icebergs. We have at most 10% of our group consciousness rising above the surface of the water. The rest is hidden. They also believe that it only takes 17% of a group to influence the opinion of the remaining 83%. In other words, the critical mass of a group is far lower than the majority. Critical mass is beginning to dawn about our environment and climate. There is also a growing understanding that the elements of a more spiritual society - simplicity, harmlessness, peace, benevolence - are also the qualities of an ecological society. We have an unprecedented opportunity therefore to strengthen our personal spiritual practice and ground it in more ecologically aware lives.